Living in the state of Florida, we encounter all varieties of emergencies and natural disasters. Every person living, working, or playing in the Sunshine State needs to be aware and prepared for any of these situation. If you have a pet then your readiness takes on a new level. To help with a plan of action, here is a list of resources to get our clients ready for hurricane season and beyond.
The state of Florida has a comprehensive website to start a disaster preparedness plan for you and your pets. Please check it out and start your own disaster plan and kit.
Portable Pet Disaster Supplies Kit Keep items in an accessible place and store them in sturdy containers that can be carried easily (duffle bags, covered trash containers, etc.). Your pet disaster supplies kit should include:
- Medications and medical records (stored in a waterproof container) and a first aid kit.
- Sturdy leashes, harnesses, and/or carriers to transport pets safely and ensure that your animals can’t escape.
- Current photos of your pets in case they get lost.
- Food, potable water, bowls, cat litter/pan, and can opener.
- Information on feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior problems, and the name and number of your veterinarian in case you have to foster or board your pets.
- Pet beds and toys, if easily transportable.
Here is a handy pet emergency card to have filled out with all your pet’s information. You can keep it in your disaster kit. Make sure to keep it updated.